Wednesday 29 June 2022

Fences

 

Fences

 

 

The last time we met

on opposite sides of the fence

he asked why I was there.

I believed it was the side to be on.

He told me what I was risking

nothing I didn’t already know

stated the danger to my family, my future

nothing we hadn’t already overcome

how I didn’t owe anyone anything

that I had to look after what was mine.

That’s not how I want to live

I chose to be here, on this side of the fence

 

Of course I’d rather be there

on that side of the fence,

protected, comfortable, immune.

More than this I want the fence taken down

these are people not cattle, nor criminal

while the fence is staying up

I’ll help as many through, before I claim my right to passage.

 

He said I was risking nothing and proving nothing

but it seemed to be bothering him enough

to mock me and call me a part-time martyr

I hope somewhere inside he was embarrassed

at wanting to be free to join me, if only for a moment.

You could die here, they could clear the place, and deny you.

Die here or die there, what’s the difference

 

Safety is a luxury

but dreams are essential, essential as blood and air.

This freedom to choose is a privilege

too valuable to ignore, too precious to hide away

Comfort complacency suspicion, these are criminal

He reminded me Charity begins at home.

This is my home, I intend to be charitable

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.