Saturday 16 October 2021

New Name

 


If I wanted to give myself a new name

a name with no prior connotations

No acquaintances, nor celebrities, nor notable namesakes

whether awful or saintly, couldn’t be considered,

If I wanted to give myself a new name I would,

but every name is known, somewhere.

 

I chose instead to make up a new name,

untainted by association,

but even those attempts had connotations

of origin, of gender, of decisions of pronunciation.

 

I tried long combinations of syllables,

and single syllables,

but every sound has been made before.

I tried reducing to just the letters of the alphabet,

but Gee sounded American, Elle was French, 

Aye was Scottish, and being called Why would need explaining.

 

So I’m back where I started,

with the name my parents gave me,

before they knew who I was,

only an idea, an association, of who they hoped I would be.

 

Seems it’s up to me

to change the connotations of my moniker,

overcome the compromises committed by other namesakes,

and give this name

something to live up to.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.