Tuesday 21 November 2023

The Shed of Dreams

 

If I sit on the floor, and look up at the window,
A square of blue sky waiting for my release
Imagine a stone cold floor beneath me,
And the ratty debris is of my only companion
 
And the rain lashes the window like a ship tossed at sea
Expecting the crack and flashes of thunder and lightening
I could steer us from an upturned bicycle
From a skateboard sliding as the waves roll and wallow
 
In the dark looking out at the constellations burning
Waiting for my orbit to roll earth into view
Hot tea breath steaming up the window
 
The door is open, and the enchanted path leads to the giant tree
Through forget-me-nots and unkempt grass
Beyond the Himalayan honeysuckle,
And the flowering currant bush where the wasps make paper lampshades
The door framing wild flowers and foliage
Cropping out fences and markers of suburbia, extending the view forever
 
Yes a shed of dreams,
not just a place for lawnmowers and rusting garden furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.